This page may contain affiliate links, which means I may earn compensation when you click on the links at no additional cost to you.
I’m obsessed with adding farmhouse/rustic decor to my house. I blame it all on HGTV (cough cough: Fixer Upper). I know I’m not alone with this love. It is the hottest trend for home decor. Everyone is looking to bring the farmhouse/rustic decor to their houses. So here is an easy DIY project to help you bring that farmhouse/rustic decor to your home.
**This post includes affiliate links, which means, I may get something in return if you click on my links. There is no cost to you.**
All you need is:
- Mason Jars – I get mine at local Michael’s store. They always have sales and coupons so it is easy to get them cheap. They have all different sizes and types.
- Chalked Paint – I always go for the Rust-Oleum Chalked Paint. I pick mine up at my local Home Depot store. They have a variety of colors.
- Foam Brushes – I usually stock up on foam brushes from Michael’s but you can find them pretty much anywhere (local hardware or craft store)
- Sand Paper – I usually use sand paper I have on hand since I only need small pieces. Anything from 80 to 120.
- Design Master® Clear Finish, Matte – The finishing touch is sealant.
Step 1 – If you have brand new Mason Jars, you are good to go. if you are re-using old Mason Jars, please make sure you clean them thoroughly.
Step 2 – Paint two coats of paint. Let the paint dry completely in between each coat.
Step 3 – Once the paint is dry, it’s time to distress. Use the sand paper (cut small sections and fold them in half). Distress along the threads of the jar by rubbing the sand paper against the jar. I usually start at the mouth of the jar and then work on all the raised edges around the jar. I usually rub it enough to remove the paint on the words and some of the raised edges. I then distress some smooth areas around the jar to give it more character.
Step 4 – Seal the jar with the finishing spray. Follow the instructions on the spray can.
Now you have farmhouse/rustic mason jars. You can add flowers to use it as a vase or you can use them to store your bathroom accessories. I personally love using them as flower vases. To give it more character, you can even add some hemp around the neck of the top of the jar and tie end it with a bow.
Of course if you don’t want to make your own, check out Etsy. You can find really cute and affordable Painted Mason Jars!